Reunion Stories

Title: A Hug from the Other Side of the World    Author: Unknown   This Writing Is Rated G


I met my husband, Ed, in Saudi Arabia in 1991 when we were both in the U.S. Marine Corps and serving in the Persian Gulf War. After the war he returned to his duty station in Okinawa, Japan and was then reassigned to Camp LeJeune, N.C., which also happened to be where I was stationed. Two months after my return home Ed surprised me by showing up at my barracks one day informing me that he was assigned to the same battalion I was assigned to, although in a different company.

Before he had even been assigned his room in the barracks Ed set off to finish his pursuit of landing me as his wife, which he had embarked upon in Saudi Arabia, even though I wanted nothing of it. I like to say that Ed didn't woo me, he wore me down until I gave in. He didn't court me with gifts, flowers, romantic moonlit nights and poetry, he's not a romantic by any means. He won me over through his integrity, his directness, his mind, his heart. I have never loved anyone more, nor been more emotionally in touch with anyone, than I am with him. We were married on Valentine's Day in 1992 and within the next 20 months became the parents of two beautiful little girls. I was discharged from the USMC due to a combat related disability and Ed left the Marines and reenlisted into the U.S. Army.

A few months ago, our nation once again engaged in a battle against Saddam Hussien and his Baath Party and, once again, Ed was called to serve in Iraq and Kuwait. Although it's hard I am so proud of him and miss him very much, especially when everything seems to fall apart at the same time, the way it has recently.

The last few weeks have been rough; First, the windshield on Ed's truck has a large crack from a rock thrown while on a recent trip the girls and I took to Florida and needs to be replaced. Then, while I was backing his '65 MG convertible out of the garage, the brakes went out and the car rolled back into a '57 Bel Aire in the driveway, leaving a large dent. Later that same day I took my daughter to the local bowling alley for a birthday party and, when I returned to the parking lot, I found that someone had backed into my fully restored '67 Mustang, leaving a dent in the fender!

I thought things couldn't get worse until later that week when the pipe under the kitchen sink started to leak and the dishwasher broke. But the very last straw was this past week when the microwave died on me and I had to get a new one after finding out that the old one was irreparable! I was so upset that all I wanted to do was go upstairs, curl into a ball on our bed and cry for hours. Things were always so much easier when Ed was home! Since the girls were at a sleepover at a friend's house, I was heading upstairs to put my plans into action when the phone rang- it was Ed!

As soon as I heard his voice, I started choking up as I explained the horrible week I had just had. Being the wonderful man he is, my darling calmed me and said everything would be fine. We talked about the kids and got in as many "I love you's" as we could until his time was up and he had to go.

After we hung up, I sat for a while and thought about the frustrations and worries of the last week and thanked God for sending me such a wonderful, supportive, loving husband.

Well, God must have moved Ed to act to give me the one thing I needed most in the only way he could from so far away because the next day I received the hug I so desperately needed in the form of a beautiful bouquet of flowers! That's the best hug I've had in months!